- Plan Your Visit
- Racing & Wagering
- Toteboard & Replays
- Raceday Information
- Learn to Win: Arlington University & More
- Expert Selections & Handicapping Information
- Stats and Standings
- Stakes & Simulcast Schedules
- Horsemen Services
- News & Videos
- Trackside OTB
Arlington Handicapping Challenge - Summer 2013
The Arlington Handicapping Challenge (AHC), its innovative, live-money handicapping contests returns for the 2013 live meet, with the first contest slated for Saturday, May 18.
For the summer of 2013 Arlington will award eight berths into the Horse Player World Series (HPWS) to be held in March 2014 in Las Vegas, as well as one berth into the DRF/NTRA National Handicapping Championship (NHC) to be held in Las Vegas in January 2014.
Each contest this summer will be free-standing meaning the top finisher on each AHC Saturday during the months of May through August will win a berth into the HPWS to be held in March 2014, while the two-day Sept. contest winner will earn a berth into the NHC in Las Vegas in January 2014.
The AHC contests closely replicate a day at the races. Each contestant funds a $100 contest wagering account ($600 or $300 for each day of the two-day Sept. tournament) and tries to run up the biggest balance he or she can, just like every day at the races. The highest account balance on a contest Saturday wins the top prize while the second- and third-place finishers each Saturday will earn cash prizes.
The mechanics of the contest have also been simplified. The contestant signs in at the registration table at the Starting Gate Theatre on the second floor of the grandstand on the day of the contest. There is no entry fee. The contestant exchanges $100 ($600; $300 each day for the Sept. NTRA tournment) for a contest wagering card (limit, two entries). The card is a plastic voucher that is used for contest wagers and makes it easy to keep track all contest wagering. The balance on the contest wagering card always remains the property of the contestant.
The contest wagering card can only be used at self-service terminals. Since such terminals are available throughout Arlington, contest players can participate from anywhere in Arlington's main building plus adjacent areas such as the paddock, park, terrace, or the like.
Each Arlington Handicapping Contest will be preceded by a handicapping seminar conducted by McMannis. The seminars, which are free just like the contests, will be held in the Starting Gate Theatre. The seminars will begin approximately one hour before first post, and McMannis will remain in the area to answer questions and more.
The complete schedule of contest dates and prizes follows:
- Saturday, May 18: Top prize is berth to HPWS Click here for results
- Saturday, June 8: Top prize is berth to HPWS Click here for results
- Saturday, June 22: Top prize is berth to HPWS Click here for results
- Saturday, July 20: Top prize is berth to HPWS Click here for results
- Saturday, July 27: Top prize is berth to HPWS Click here for results
- Saturday, Aug. 10: Top prize is berth to HPWS Click here for results
- Saturday, Aug. 24:Top prize is berth to HPWS Click here for results
- Saturday, Aug. 31:Top prize is berth to HPWS Click here for results
- Sat.-Sun., Sept. 14-15: Top prize is berth to NHC