- Plan Your Visit
- Racing & Wagering
- Toteboard & Replays
- Raceday Information
- FastBet Mobile
- Learn to Win: Arlington University & More
- Expert Selections & Handicapping Information
- Stats and Standings
- Stakes & Simulcast Schedules
- Horsemen Services
- News - Videos - Blogs
- Trackside OTB
We're Back! NHC Qualifier Handicapping Seminar/Contest on March 30!
Our Gang is getting together again for another afternoon of handicapping and horseplaying.
This Saturday, March 30, marks another installment in Arlington’s ongoing series of handicapping seminars and contests. We are returning to Arlington’s Trackside OTB located in Tavern on North on North Avenue in Villa Park. We want you to join us.
This handicapping contest will be a little bit different than what we have been offering. Here’s how.
1. This contest will offer a Las Vegas Trip, but not to the Coast Casino’s Horse Player World Series (HWS) as we have been offering (those will return, in abundance, during Arlington’s live meet).
2. This contest offers, as it’s top prize, a trip to Las Vegas to play in the 2014 Daily Racing Form/National Thoroughbred Racing Association (DRF/NTRA) National Handicapping Championship (NHC) which offers a top prize of $750,000 (won by a Chicagoan earlier this year, by the way). The only way to play in the NHC is to win your way there through a qualifier contest like ours.
3. There is no cash option as an alternative to the top prize, so be ready to go to Vegas if you win.
4. You must be a member of the NHC Tour to participate. If you are not already a Tour member, you can become a member by paying the $50 annual membership fee when you register for our contest this Saturday. It’s quick and easy.
5. Beginning bankroll will be $300. The balance remains yours, as always.
6. Make a minimum of one bet, make as many as you want – just bet a minimum of $300.
7. You can bet on any Thoroughbred race from any North American Thoroughbred track that goes off by 6:30 PM. That means the races from Dubai that Saturday are not in the contest.
8. The runner-up prize is unique: after the first-place winner, anyone with a final bankroll of over $1,000 will share in a prize pool of $1,000. So we don’t know how many will win a runner-up prize.
The OTB opens at 10:30 AM. Brittany will take contest signups from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM. I will also be taking signups for my prize drawings, so there are two registrations.
We have the banquet room reserved for us, but you can also sit in the OTB main room or in the theater or the Gold Card Room (members only, please).
Food and beverage service is available.
I will present my handicapping review of the Hawthorne races at 12:30 PM. I will pause when a race is going off at a major track so as to be in sync with the simulcasting.
Even if you are not playing in the contest, you are encouraged to take advantage of my seminar. It is free, and worth every penny of it.
I will remain on hand until 6:30 PM and will be available all day to answer questions and discuss racing.
I’m really looking forward to seeing all our old gang again, so make plans to join us.
For more information on Saturday’s handicapping seminar and contest, including a link to the rules, click here.
Need directions to the OTB? It’s very easy to get to, on North Avenue just a couple blocks west of Route 83. The Eisenhower (I-90/290) has a North Avenue interchange. For a map, specific directions, and more, simply click here then scroll down and click on Trackside Villa Park.
We want to send you to Las Vegas, but you must get in it to win it.
M. Scott McMannis
- Handicapping Seminar and Contest Host, Arlington Park
- Midwest Correspondent, The HorsePlayer Magazine
- Owner and Publisher, The McMannis Speed Figure & Trip Note Service Newsletter,
- Arlington Trainer Patterns, and
- Hawthorne Trainer Patterns